There are some people who only want to set up an online business because they may have heard of other people who are very successful with their internet business, or they may feel it is the thing to do to try and make quick money.
Obviously you want to make money, who doesn’t – but there is no such thing as quick money. You can make a lot of money with a web-based business, however you should enjoy what you are doing, or at least be interested in your niche subject because you will need to put a great deal of effort, time and patience into setting up your business. If money is the only reason you want to start your own online business then it is not for you.
An online business is not for everyone but whatever your reason is for starting an online business a number of questions must be answered:
* What is my passion? Maybe you like to paint, write, cook, fix computers etc.
* What really interests me? You should think about what keeps you focused and what it is you really enjoy doing.
* What are my needs? Maybe you need money, want to be recognised or want to help others.
* What motivates me? Think about what really drives you.
* What are my short-term and long-term goals? Think about what it is you want to achieve.
How much money do I need to start an online business? This depends on the type of online business you want.
* Do I want to work full-time or part-time? Think about whether you are prepared to give up your day job and work for yourself, or if you prefer to do both at the same time. If you are not already working then you should still be considering these options.
* Do I need training to start the business? Think about how much you already know about running a business online, for example, creating and/or managing websites, affiliate marketing, blogs etc. then you will be able to decide whether or not you need any training.
Once you have answered these questions will you be able to determine whether or not an online business is right for you. So if you choose to start an online business take your time and research beforehand everything you need to know by searching on Google or visiting forums and blogs about your niche subject. You should also find out how much it will cost for a domain name, a web developer if you are not going to be creating your website yourself, and have a good marketing plan. Start up costs for an online business is usually relatively low; something like a couple of hundred dollars or less in some cases.
Online marketing is big business and as with any other business you should know who your competitors are and focus on your business being unique and what your target market wants.
(written by Pam Jones)